Book a Training Course
Bikeability Level 2 Certificate for under 18s
- 13:15 - 15:30, Monday 28th October 2019
- 13:15 - 15:30, Tuesday 29th October 2019
- 13:15 - 15:30, Wednesday 30th October 2019
Cost per child: £40.00
Guildford Fire Station Ladymead, Guildford, GU1 1DL Open in Google Maps
Bikeability Level 2 cycle training is a course teaching skills for quieter roads. We risk assess the area that will be used and the trainees cycle on the roads within this area to different junctions with varying traffic conditions.
The session will begin in the playground or hard area, where the instructor can assess the trainee’s current level of cycling skills. The training will then progress on to the road. Please note that if a trainee cannot safely perform these assessment tasks at the first session, they will not be able to go on the road to continue the training.
Our Instructors develop road cycling skills through expanation, demonstration and practical exerciseson on the road. They focus on the 'systematic routines' set out in the National Standard for Cycling:
Trainees will be taught to cycle away from the gutter - to ride in either the ‘secondary’ or the ‘primary’ road position. Secondary is between 0.5 and 1 metre from the kerb and primary is in the centre of the lane. Trainees will learn the appropriate position depending on the road, the traffic, and the manoeuvre they are making.
Level 2 has the following outcomes:
- Start and finish a journey
- Be aware of potential hazards
- Understand how and when to signal intentions to other road users
- Understand where to ride on roads being used
- Pass parked or slower moving vehicles
- Pass side roads
- Turn into and out of road junctions
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the decisions you make while cycling
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the Highway Code
At the end of the course, each trainee receives a badge and assessment certificate. The certificate will show you exactly what your child has been taught and achieved. We hope this will help parents/carers with the further development of their child’s cycling skills.
Please note that we will endeavor to run the courses, even if the courses are not filled. Please note that in this instance the length of the training course may be reduced and we will notify you by email.